>"Sadowski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  asked,

>Sorry, I didn't mean "4000 series" I meant an actual 4000.
>
>It's listed on Cosco's page as an end-of-life product, and I'm just
>wondering if anyone has had any experience with it...
>

>Thanx,
>

>John

I have a soft spot in my heart for the 4000 itself (well, I also have
hard spots in my heart, but my cardiologist is working on those).
When I first taught Cisco courses, most labs were built with MGS
routers, but the next migration used the 4000 (not the 4500 or 4700).

Extremely reliable boxes -- hardly ever had failures with routers
that were shipped every week.

Downsides -- the 4000 has a relatively slow processor.  It doesn't
support Fast Ethernet or ATM as the 4500/4700 do.  It can take only 1
FDDI card, and, for optimal cooling, that should go in the center
slot.

If it's end of life, sooner or later, it won't take the most recent IOS.

There was an issue, and I frankly don't remember the details, of
early-version ROM chips that would not boot some of the larger images.