I'm trying to setup a temporary LAN and would like my router to handle DHCP
requests.

My question is what if I'm asking the router to do too much?

I'm using a Cisco 1700 series router with about 75 computers running win98.
The 1700 only has 1 static route to another router (no heavy processing like
extensive access lists here) and nothing else. Am I asking this 1700 series
to handle too much?

How many PC's asking for IP's before it craps out? What if I use a 2600
series instead? How many PC's could it handle?

If it does crap out what can I expect as a reaction? It just freezing or
something more sinister?