Since you didn't specify the protocol, I am going to assume you mean for a
TCP connection.

  When one side wants to set up a connection with the other side, it does a
"three-way handshake" by doing the following:

A -> Sends  SYN=1, ACK=0, SEQ=1000, ACK#=0
B -> Replys ACK=1, SYN=1, SEQ=5000, ACK#=1001
A -> Replys ACK=1, SYN=1, SEQ=1001, ACK#=5001

  When the conversation is over, if both sides wants to close the
connection, they do a "graceful close" by doing the following:

A -> Sends  FIN=1, ACK=1, SEQ=2000, ACK#=6001
B -> Replys FIN=1, ACK=1, SEQ=6001, ACK#=2001
A -> Replys ACK=1, SEQ=2001, ACK#=2002

   The SYN bit is letting the remote side know to synchronize the SEQuence
number it should be expecting.
   The ACK bit indicates that the sender has recieved a packet from the
remote side, and it is now expecting to receive a packet with the sequence
number indicated in the ACK# field.
   The SEQ field is a randomly generated number that the sender generates to
show where it will start at.  It then increments this value by one for every
packet it sends
   The ACK# field indicates what packet sequence number the receiver is
expecting to see next.