Are you sure that the message was printed right
after the system bootstrap ?

It sure looks like an IOS message and I expect to see
this message later on , as IOS is processing the
config file .

You can easely generate this message .

1/ copy your running config to an tftp server.
2/ edit this config file and change the version
command
   to reflect a software version higher than you are
   running .
3/ tftp the modified config to startup
4/ reload the router without saving the running config
   to the startup config .

00:00:08: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial1/6, changed
state to down
00:00:08: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial1/7, changed
state to down
00:00:09: %SYS-4-CONFIG_NEWER: Configuration from
version 16.0 may not be correctly understood
I changed the version keyword to version 16.0 .

As the IOS loads it looks at the version entry in the
config . If the keyword indicates an older version
than the one you are running it prints out this
message .

What puzzels me is that you just did the opposite :)

flem

[EMAIL PROTECTED]