Nat,

This is one of those things that differientiate [sp?] a _LOGICAL_
drawing and a _PHYSICAL_ drawing.    Figure 9-3 on that page shows
"Network 3.0.0.0" and "Network 2.0.0.0"  This is a logical drawing.
These networks could be utilizing a HUB, Switch, or a direct connect
such as a cross-over cable.  Typically, in the real world [assuming
you meant in a production enviroment]  it is a switch.

Now, let's assume it is a switched network.  The switch wouldn't send
out any "hello" type packets.  The HRSP protocol is a _router_
protocol.  So the routers are talking to each other, ensuring the
primary is alive and well, and if not, a take over by the secondaries.
The switch is just the medium.

But this brings up another question that I had not found until you
posted the link.  And that was what about layer-2?  IE: MAC address
resolution.  How did a switch, using VLANs quite possibly, ensure it
went to the correct MAC address?

>From that link:
..."  When you configure HSRP, the router automatically selects one of
the virtual MAC addresses from a range of addresses in the Cisco IOS
software that is within the range of Cisco's MAC address block"...

Aha! So the MAC address stays the same [as does the associated  IP
address]  But wait!  How does the switch _relearn_ where that MAC
address is?

 In other words:

 Primary router A, with IP of 1.1.1.1 and Mac adder of x:x:x:x  is off
switch port 5.   Router A dies, and Router B takes over...using IP
1.1.1.1 and Mac adder of x:x:x:x now on switch port 8.  But the switch
still thinks x:x:x:x is on switch port 5.  How does he get updated??
[besides arp table purge]  Yet to figure this one out...but I will
keep you updated, as I have been put on the HA [High Availability]
Project where I work.

FWIW, We are also looking at Cisco's Local director, F5's BigIP/3DNS,
and a combination of pure physical redundancy.

Troy Coulombe
Network Engineer, CCNA
...and all around nice guy