We wrote custom SNMP scripts to grab what we wanted and shove it into an SQL
server.

>From there all we needed to do was create some CGI's and ASP's to retrieve and
present what we wanted.
After some work it was even easy for the Management Team to log onto the Web
Server and put the dates in for the summaries they wanted and it showed them a
lot of nice pretty graphs that they didn't understand but really liked the look
of ;-)

Long term storage this way is not an option so we created some static files
with summaries only once the data was 2 months old. Depends on the size of your
network and what data you need to get.

We found What's Up to be too chatty in a large Telco/ISP environment so we
dumped that quickly, once again depends on your needs etc...

There's also a commercial program out there called Concord Network Health that
you might want to check out.
Shows icmp tests which are true indicators since it uses the ICMP MIB on the
routers not from an NMS and also watches temperatures, CPU and Memory among
things.

Sorry don't have a URL for it....

Darren