From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Kevin S. Mahler
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2000 2:55 PM
To: Ritchi Craver; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Load balancing

The problem here is that the IP addresses assigned by
the ISP's are not portable.  For example, you have an
IP range 199.250.138.0 from one ISP that you are directly
connected with.  You use EIGRP to route that traffic over
to the other office where they send it out to the Internet.
When your reply comes back it will take a different path
since the routing tables on the Internet state that that IP
address is at your ingress port from your ISP.  If you are
running a Firewall, the reply will never get past it since
it would not have seen the original packet.

Now if you get an AS number and work with the ISP's
to get BGP working between them and you, your IP addresses
will be advertised to the Internet as accessible two ways.  The
packets will take the shortest path out and back to you since
your routers and the routers on the Internet have full routing
tables for these routes.  If one of your ISP links fails, you will
still have full access since BGP will update the routing tables
on the Internet with that information.

This is over simplified a bit.  I hope you don't mind I posted
this to the group for others.

Kevin

See my homepage at <http://www.kmahler.com>