It depends how much you want to invest.  Everyone will have different
opinions, but here is my lab:

2x 2502 (Token Ring) $500 ea. Grandstore.com
2503 (dual serial, ISDN Bri) $810 on ebay
2509 (get used to reverse telnet!) $1200 Grandstore.com
2610 (dual serial) Spare from my employer
4000 (8x serial ports, frame relay switch) $1300 on ebay
2524 (dual serial, ISDN Bri) Spare from my employer (but had to replace T1
card w/dual serial)
Catalyst 5002 ($630 for the Chasis w/power, $995 for Supervisor 2, $2900 for
WS-X5225R, $2200 for ATM LANE card)
Catalyst 1900 Enterprise and 3548XL (Spares from work)
3Com Corebuilder 7000 ATM LANE Switch (I pulled it and replaced w/Cisco 6509
at work)
3COM ATM NIC

I did something most people won't do, and that is spend the money for a
WS-X5225R and ATM LANE card for the Catalyst.  The WS-X5213 does Fast
Etherchannel and ISL, but not 802.1q and I didn't want to be leave out
anything.

Most people learn ATM by going to their local Cisco lab, CCIE
bootcamp, or reading about it in a book.  I was extremely
fortunate in that I replaced three 3Com Corebuilder 7000 switches at my
work.  These are cell switches and will run ATM LANE services much like a
Lightstream 1010.  Since the configuration of the 1010 is not a requirement,
I can configure this CB7000 and it's completely transparent to the Cisco ATM
LANE card, all it knows is what to connect to.  One thing I am missing, but
is listed on the R/S CCIE equipment list, is the 3900 series Token Ring
switch.  Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mark

8h5kcr$fhb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:8h5kcr$fhb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...