From: Eric Fairfield
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 6/5/00 10:38 AM
Subject: Re: new version of 802.1q?

I believe 802.1s is the standards group working on Spanning Forest (per
vlan stp)

"Andy Harding" < [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > wrote in message
01f801bfce8a$c41bace0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:01f801bfce8a$c41bace0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<01f801bfce8a$c41bace0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:01f801bfce8a$c41bace0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ...
have been having (semi) argument at work about dot1q versus ISL

my understanding is that dot 1q runs one instance of spanning tree per
trunk, rather than per vlan as ISL does - hence if one VLAN is blocking
then dot1q disables the entire trunk

A collegue of mine reckons that dot 1q now does as per ISL and runs STP
on a per-vlan basis, but the 802.1q spec has changed without the #
changing

someone help me out here...

thanks

Andy