I'd recommend the Dale Carnegie course.

As far as technical know-how, IMHO the first step is a solid understanding of TCP/IP.

Irwin
-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen.B [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2000 3:38 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: To the experts who have been in the game a while - Question???

If you were a teacher what is the first thing you would have your student study in order to excel in the field, a vet networker said to me that a good networker does not look at things through Cisco eyes because it leaves you close minded, he said yes learn Cisco but have a fundemental generic understanding of networking in general, things such as cabeling, signaling, FDDI, Token Ring, Ethernet because then when you move on to WAN you will appreiciate better what layer 1 is doing.

The reason I ask is because I am not in a rush to get certified, if I am going to do this I am going to do it right, therefore I ask the TRUE vets their suggestions on where to begin building a foundation

Thanks in advance

Stephen