Stephen,

Maybe a first degree with a major in networking or a
Masters in networking would give you a good
foundation.
I did an MSc in networking before starting out in the
field, it was only 1 year and so didn't cost too much.
It wasn't so much that their networking was Cisco or
leading edge that mattered, they taught fundamental
theory from a ISO OSI model perspective which I have
been able to apply to all protocol suite models. PS
don't wanna get into the TCP/IP OSI debate which came
first blah, blah, blah ... but suffice to say that
from a theoretical perspective you can learn alot from
the OSI model and apply that knowledge to proprietory
protocol suites and TCP/IP.
But above all from an academic perspective the course
taught how to research, which I think is probably
underated by many engineers.

PS also got to do strange stuff like comparisons of
throughput for CSMA/CD versus CSMA/CA (Detection
versus Avoidance). Bit weird but 'there U go'

Shops are shutting. Gotta hit Sainsburies.

Good Luck.

Phil.

--- "Stephen.B" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > If you
were a teacher what is the first thing you