Here's some food for thought on reducing MTU (in an Ethernet network environment)...

You have 1500 bytes of data, with 26 bytes of framing overhead (preamble,
source/destination addressing, type/length field and CRC).  Let's put one frame
containing "voice" to follow after this data goes through an Ethernet interface.
Think of the delay that might be encountered.

Now, let's take that same 1500 bytes of data, break it up into 48 byte (ATM payload
size) chunks.  To transport this same 1500 byte payload, 32 transport frames are
required--each appended with 26 bytes of framing overhead.  The router will now
process over 2200 bytes of data and 32 frames instead of 1526 bytes contained on one
frame.  For comparison, let's let the router process the frame of "voice" after all 32
frames of data have been processed.  Which would you suspect would have a higher
degree of latency?

While prioritization of traffic could be used to ensure the packet of "voice" is
processed before the 32 packets of data, why not start with prioritization as a
mechanism rather than changing the MTU?  As alluded to, a smaller MTU results in an
increased overhead:data ratio resulting in a less efficient transport network.  This
increases the latency on your network for other applications.

A few years ago, Alteon Networks spearheaded an initiative to increase the payload
size of Ethernet lessening the ratio of overhead to data transport--in much the same
manner used in 16 Mbps token-ring networks.  While it was accepted by many vendors
(including Cisco), it didn't gain much momentum, having been overshadowed by the
development of the Gigabit standard amongst other things.  It's an interesting
technology (and political challenge) that's well worth the read.

  -- Leigh Anne