On Oct 28,  6:40am, "Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote:
}
} Current IP address allocation from ARIN assumes that ISPs will use
} private addressing and NAT for single-homed customers.  They are
} reasonable about exceptions, such as protocols that won't work
} through NAT, but the exceptions need to be justified for the ISP to

     You mean like FTP, etc.

} continue getting address space.

     This is totally bogus and unacceptable.  If my ISP even thought
about putting me behind a NAT gateway, I would be looking for a new one
really quickly.  It is one thing for a customer to run NAT internally at
their own option, but it is totally unacceptable for an ISP to force
them to use NAT.  Note that I don't have a problem with an ISP charging
extra for giving a customer a large address range as opposed to just
giving them one address.

}-- End of excerpt from "Howard C. Berkowitz"