I don't know about those switch types in particular, but it is possible for a
router to be able to communicate with the wrong switch type configured.  I've
interchanged primary-ts014 and primary-net5 on a Cisco 7500, and it seemed to
work OK - mind you, this was just for testing purposes, I haven't run it
long-term with the wrong switch-type, so I can't comment on performance.

On non-cisco equipment, I've also used a setting of TS13 (Australian microlink)
with a service using ETSI - the basics (i.e. making a call) worked, but some
features weren't available.

I'd be cautious about changing it unless someone else can give you more info on
those specific switch-types, but you'd probably be OK.  Have that console cable
ready at the remote site :-)

JMcL

I am trying to troubleshoot a slow WAN request time between a remote branch
office and my network, and I can see that the switch type is set to 5ESS on
the remote router (which I am looking at with telnet). On all my routers
here, and at another remote office, the switch types are all NI-1.

The question is - would the router be able to communicate at all with a
switch type set to 5ESS the switch really is an NI-1?

If I assume that it would be able to communicate, I could change it remotely
from 5ESS to NI-1 to see if it should help the slow request time, and then
change it back again if not.

If I assume that it would not be able to communicate, I would loose my
feature of communicating with it remotely when changing from 5ESS to NI-1,
and the office would be completely down until I could get someone to move a
pc over by their router and connect it with a console cable and change it
back.

Any comments are appreciated,

Ole

 Ole Drews Jensen