Ole,

I can't comment on the specifics of the Switch type, but I imagine your
going to lose your link, at least temporarily
if you change the switch type. Without testing, I'd say you might even have
to "shut/no shut" the intf or reload the router
to make the change active.

You could ring the Telco provisoning the ISDN circuit at the remote site
and ask them (not always the most useful of steps, I admit), or check
the "debug ISDN q921 / q931" output for any errors. I have no experience of
these switch types, I'm in the UK, but If one end has been misconfigured
in any setup I've ever worked on, usually there is no D channel comms, and
"show isdn status" shows Layer 1 down.

On the remote reconfiguration front, I commonly use the "reset in xx"
comand when doing anything to a remote box, just in case I have to get in
my
car and drive for many hours to fix the thing afterwards...

Here's some detail:

On the remote router, check your startup config is the same as the one in
memory, (Set the time on the router and do a show start
is one easy way to check no changes since last write memory/copy running
startup). Assuming you're happy with the config
in NVRAM (this is the config it will use if all goes horribly wrong....),
enter the "reload in 15" command to reboot the router
in 15 minutes (Or however long you want to wait looking at a blank
console/how long you need to make changes etc.)

Make your config changes, if all goes well, and before the 15 minutes has
expired (!) enter the "no reload" command to abort the timed reboot
procedure.

If you "saw off the branch your sitting on", and the router link goes down,
sit back and wait for the reboot to occur.

Just remember NOT to write memory/copy running startup at any point during
the procedure, until you're happy that all is working OK,
or you're looking at getting someone to hook up a PC and console cable for
you at the remote end......

My basic premise in these cases is that if I'm hacking away at the
interface I'm coming in on, then I'd prefer to be at the site,
failing that, I'd like Out Of Band access via an AUX port connected modem,
worst case I'll use the "reload in xx", but only after ensuring
I have someone at the far end to talk through getting it back to a working
state if I blow the gig. I have also used PCAnywhere to dial in to a PC
at the remote site via a modem, and TELNETed into the remote device via a
working LAN intf to get base connectivity restored after an
unplanned power outage during router config maintenance........

On a more general level, ask yourself what the impact to your business is
going to be if this goes wrong, that will help guide how important it is
for
you to be there or do it remotely.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary!

Regards

Peter Simmons

All the usual Legal Stuff that means if your house burns down after reading
this, It's NOT my fault, OK!