There are a couple factors make EIGRP converge faster:

  1. Even EIGRP is a flat routing protocol, it does support
      some features of hierarchical routing protocols, such
      as address summary, VLSM and supernet. (vs RIP)
  2. EIGRP does incremental updates (vs RIP)
  3. EIGRP routing process stores all the neighbor's routing
      table, which causes covergence faster.
      For example, in case a single network link fails, in OSPF,
      all the routers in the same area will re-calculate the whole
      routing table. Depends on the topology, EIGRP may only
      affect a few routers (vs Link-State)
  4. Compares to OSPF, EIGRP routing process requires
      less memory and CPU time . Depends on the size
      of the network. In small networks, EIGRP has more
      overheads than other routing protocols.

Jim Xie.