Now that it appears I can post again, let me try this again. Discovered the
problem Saturday. Have not been able to ask for help.

Got a good one for you all to ponder.

I am in the process of reassembling my lab. Routers have been off line for a
couple of weeks. Friday I brought two back on line to test some
configurations for someone. Discovered that I was unable to route.

Here is what I know:

Serial interfaces on both routers are up. I know this because:

1) Show CDP neighbor reveals the other router, both interfaces, both routers
2) Debug serial interface and debug serial events shows communication across
the interfaces
3) Show interface reveals the interface is up and the protocol is up, both
interfaces, both routers
4) On either router I can ping the directly connected interfaces of the
other router
5) Oh, and IPX and AppleTalk routing work just fine. I see all networks for
both protocols.

I also know that the routing protocols are set up correctly. Honest, gang.
I'm not sure how many more ways I can check an IGRP configuration with one
network in it. Let alone EIGRP and BGP ( the lab configuration I was
testing ) Besides, as I stated, I can ping the each router serial interface
from the other router.

I also found that one time, if I reloaded with an empty startup config, and
configured from the setup, that I would have routing. Admittedly I have not
done too many more experiments along this line.

Oh,  one last thing. IP routing works fine and dandy across the ethernet
interfaces. I.e if I plug both router  ethernets into the same hub, routing
is great. Even the BGP processes establish neighbor relationships with the
right information..

Well, I'm frustrated as hell. And out of ideas. I have gone so far as to
reload images into the routers. The only other thing that is a wild guess is
that two of the three routers were the recipients of new images via Cisco's
Router Software Loader. But the other one was updated the old fashioned
way - TFTP. Makes no sense to me that this would effect the ability of the
IOS to see the serial ports. I suppose strange things have happened.

I do find it rather incredible that every serial interface on every single
one of my routers has failed at exactly the same time. And failed for IP
only.

Anyone have any ideas? Is there some secret command within IOS version 12.x
that someone is keeping secret from me? I continue to search on CCO, but CCO
is hiding this secret well.

Chuck