Hi,

I was reading Karen Webb book on Building Cisco Multilayer Switched Networks
(BCMSN). I came across some information on Layer 4 switching that somehow I
didn't understand. It says that "Layer 4 switches refer to Layer 3 hardware
based routing that consider the applications. "
I understand the Layer 3 switching that is not logical and etc.  But what
about Layer 4 switching??? What new Switches and Routers are supporting
Layer 4 (Transport Layer) switching?
If Layer 3 and Layer 4 switching is same than is there any difference?
Any responses are welcome on this topic.

Thanks for your time!

Maria