Francis,

The process you have described looks more like
"load-balancing"/"load-sharing" - Cisco LocalDirector supports that kind of
traffic management. It seems that Layer4 switches do a bit difeerent thing
(though mosty of them do load-balancing).
We use FoundryNetworks Layer 4 switches in some of our implementatios for
redirecting traffic to the WebFilter/cach engine.
The switch is able to redirect packets on per-tcp-port basis. For example we
have configured ours to redirect all http requests to the WebCache engines
and let everything else through

RGRDS,
Evgeny
""Arigo, Francis"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
304545310AD0D3118F9900600897AD9A07743B@GALILEO">news:304545310AD0D3118F9900600897AD9A07743B@GALILEO...
> We use an Alteon Web Switch that uses "layer 4 switching". I don't know if
> the concept is the same for cisco switches, but this is how it works on
the
> Alteon:
>
> Each web site is assigned a "virtual IP" that is not assigned to any host;
> it is defined in the switch config. Then we have the web servers that have
> different real IP addresses. When someone requests a web page, it resolves
> to the "virtual IP" address. Then the Alteon does some processes in Layer
4
> to determine which web server has the least load, then routes the request
> that server.
>
> I'm sure that Layer 4 switching is not limited to just web switching, but
> haven't seen it used for anything else. Does anyone else have any
experience
> with it?
>
> Hope that helps with the concept,
> Francis Arigo, MCSE, CCNA