Hi John,

On serial interfaces you have a few WAN protocols you
can use depending on what your doing, what type of
circuit provider is providing/type of circuit ordered,
etc.

With Point to Point T1s or leased lines these are
connections between 2 locations and you can use WAN
protocols such as HDLC, PPP, etc.

With Frame Relay, this is a WAN switching technology
where a virtual circuit is built between you and the
remote end. Between your router and the carriers frame
relay switch there is signalling (LMI) that provides
status of Virtual Circuit, DLCI info, etc. You can
find out more at http://www.frforum.com