First, go to www.cisco.com everyday and explore.  It has a tremendous amount
of information.  You'll be doing this anyway, so you might as well get used
to it now.

A couple of books I bought in the beginning might be helpful to you.  I
picked up the Sybex CCNA study guide by Todd Lammle, a very handy tutorial.
You may want to wait a few weeks until the newer books start coming out.
The CCNA test changed recently so the new study guides should be out
shortly.

Another book that helped me immensely:  The LAN Times Guide to Wide Area
Networking.  This will help you understand what people are talking about
when they mention frame relay, ISDN, T1, DS0, AMI, B8ZS, ESF, etc.

Another GREAT book that is mostly for more advanced people but I wish I'd
gotten right from the beginning:  Routing TCP/IP by Jeff Doyle.  The first
few chapters give the best introduction to networking that I've read.  The
rest of the book will be exceptionally useful to you and you'll want to get
a copy of this sometime...it might as well be sooner rather than later.  But
get it after you've read a couple of these other books.

The new Cisco course for CCNA level people is ICND, Interconnecting Cisco
Network Devices.  If there is a CiscoPress book for this out, you'd be well
served to get a copy of that, as well.  It covers TCP/IP basics, addressing,
OSI model, switching, ISDN, frame relay, etc....lots of great topics.  I
took a look at the course books for this class the other day and I'm VERY
impressed at how they've improved it over the original ICRC class.

HTH,

John Neiberger, CCNA/CCDA