I agree with everything that Chuck says except the very first sentence.  The DE
packets tell you very little about your CURRENT reliability, but they do give an
indication of potential future problems.
Simple (and fairly simplistic) example.  Let's say this link is provided by a
new carrier, or a carrier that has recently installed frame relay in this area
(dunno about in the US, but there's lots of places in Australia that don't have
many frame relay customers :-).  You're the first customer on this part of the
network.
They provide you with say 256K access, and say 64K CIR (figures out of the air).
Nobody else is using the infrastructure, so you can happily send traffic at 256K
for long periods of time without any congestion - there's nobody else around to
congest the network.  'You beauty', you think - why bother paying for higher
CIRs?
Time goes by, as time is inclined to do, and the carrier gets more customers.
They might upgrade their network, but they'll almost certainly oversubscribe -
if you're only paying for 64K CIR, why should they provision their network to
give you 256K all the time?
Funny, you seem to be getting more FECNs and BECNs and dropped packets.  Your
traffic hasn't changed, so why the drop in performance?  You get what you pay
for.

That level of FECNs and BECNs indicates that you're not having problems yet
(although it would be worth checking the FECN/BECN levels at the other end of
the link).  But keep a close eye on it.  The DE packets show that you're getting
more than you're paying for (which is A Good Thing, if you ask me), but that
could change due to things completely outside your control.

Also, as an aside, I have heard that some carriers don't bother setting the
FECN/BECN bits.  That's probably not the case here as there are some BECNs
showing, but if it was, then you could be getting severe congestion without it
showing up very easily - except of course in your user response times...

JMcL

---------------------- Forwarded by Jenny Mcleod/NSO/CSDA on 16/06/2000 09:12

"Chuck Larrieu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 16/06/2000 01:05:58

Please respond to "Chuck Larrieu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>