Ah shucks!

This is one of those "thanks to groupstudy" moments. There was a very long
discussion of the intricacies of managing and configuring cost in OSPF a
ways back. Priscilla and Howard and a bunch of folks chimed in. I of course
read everything, and apparently absorbed a lot of it. Learned about the two
byte "cost" field in the ospf packet. So you can't have a cost of less than
one because the field is an integer field with a defined value of 1-65xxx
Anyway, one of the daughter threads was what happens when you manually
adjust the cost to take into account DS3, for example?

Well, using the ospf auto-cost reference-bandwidth command, one can adjust
for high speed links. The entire reference copied from the 12.x command
reference follows. But the idea is that one may now configure the ospf
process to take into account bandwidths greater than the default 100K

ospf auto-cost reference-bandwidth

To control how OSPF calculates default metrics for the interface, use the
ospf auto-cost router configuration command. To assign cost based only on
the interface type, use the no form of this command.
ospf auto-cost reference-bandwidth ref-bw

no ospf auto-cost reference-bandwidth

Syntax Description

reference-bandwidth ref-bw      Rate in megabits per second (bandwidth). The
range is 1 to 4294967; the default is 100.

Defaults
100 Mbits
Command Modes
Router configuration
Command History

Release         Modification
11.2    This command was introduced.

Usage Guidelines
In Cisco IOS Release 10.3 and later, by default OSPF will calculate the OSPF
metric for an interface according to the bandwidth of the interface. For
example, a 64K link will get a metric of 1562, while a T1 link will have a
metric of 64.
The OSPF metric is calculated as ref-bw divided by bandwidth, with ref-bw
equal to 108 by default, and bandwidth determined by the bandwidth command.
The calculation gives FDDI a metric of 1.
If you have multiple links with high bandwidth (such as FDDI or ATM), you
might want to use a larger number to differentiate the cost on those links.
The value set by the ip ospf cost command overrides the cost resulting from
the ospf auto-cost command.
Examples
The following example changes the cost of the FDDI link to 10, while the
gigabit Ethernet link remains at a cost of 1. Thus, the link costs are
differentiated.
router ospf 1
 ospf auto-cost reference-bandwidth 1000