I've been reading and trying to understand interior redistribution and came
across the following technique as an alternative for the specific packet
filtering requirement of discarding certain packets based solely on their
destination address.

In this case Cisco static route command are used to discard packets destined
to private address space using null0.  Here is an example:

ip route 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0.0 null0

My question is whether it is possible to show the system log and display the
number of times a packet was discarded destined to private or RFC1918
address space.  If the logs showed that, would it also show the source?

I don't have a test lab setup to try this but was hoping someone on the list
has experience with this.  Thanks for you help..

dj