well, simply blocking traffic from outdoors and using NAT is usually OK
for a SOHO or regular user, but in general access lists ARE NOT A
FIREWALL.  They don't keep status of connections and do any realtime
inspection of traffic looking for more then just IP/TCP/UDP
information.  A stateful firewall keeps an active table of all
connections and can do a lot more then just deny traffic on basic things
in the layer 3/4 header.  If you really want to protect a network don't
just use access lists.

In larger environments, one of the big factors to address is
performance.  If you're sitting behind a T-1 with 40 to 50 average users
and a server or two, this may not be a big deal.  Any decent software
based firewall or small hardware-based solution should be fine.  But if
you're sitting behind a network with hundreds of users, hundreds of
servers, and pushing 50+ Mb/s of traffic out multiple DS-3's, you better

A.  Make sure you segment your network and use multiple firewalls.
B.  Use a fast hardware based solution.

Some of the bigger firewall platforms out there are Checkpoint's
Firewall-1, Cisco PIX, and my current favorite, Netscreen.  I'm not sure
about netscreen's site right now, but Cisco and Checkpoint should have
some basic firewall/security documentation out there about firewalls.
There are plenty of good books on firewalls out there as well as things
on the Internet, but I haven't searched.

David