ElephantChild <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

>On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Sammi wrote:
>
>  > In pursuit of a network position I'm often queried as to my knowledge
>  > of firewalls. During my Cisco studies I haven't seen much mentioned on
>  > the subject, though I have deduced (correctly?) that access lists can
>  > effectively be used as a firewall. What are the leading industry
>  > firewall applications and how do they interact with Cisco products?
>  > Realizing perspectives are much different on an enterprise level than
>  > the home network level, is there much difference in principle between
>  > firewalls the home user might employ (blackice, @guard, etc.) and that
>  > used on the larger scale? Any recommendations as to links,
>  > documentation?
>
>Firewalls and Internet Security (Cheswick and Bellovin - AW?)
>Building Internet Firewalls (Chapman and Zwicky? ORA?)
>Practical Unix and Internet Security (Spafford and Garfinkel? - ORA?)
>The firewalls mailing list (used to be [EMAIL PROTECTED])
>Any web page by Marcus J. Ranum
>
>That should keep you busy for a while. :-)

Full agreement with these books, and you have the correct publishers.

Some other random references, some more theoretical than others.
Network security in general, not just firewalls.

IETF Security Area Advisory Group  http://web.mit.edu/network/ietf/sa/
IETF Working Groups http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/wg-dir.html
     -- navigate to Security Area for subgroups

RFC 1579 Firewall-Friendly FTP. S. Bellovin.

RFC 2647 Benchmarking Terminology for Firewall Performance. D. Newman.

NSA Rainbow Library.  Contains some HEAVY theory, but also lots of
good information.
http://www.radium.ncsc.mil/tpep/library/rainbow/index.html

International Computer Security Association http://www.icsa.net/
     contains ratings of specific firewall products

Computer Emergency Response Team http://www.cert.org