Marco-

I never came across this terminology either until I was reading some notes
on the sitamoht website.  This an excerpt from the sitamoht site....
Route dampening is a BGP feature designed to minimize the propagation of
flapping routes across an internetwork. A route is considered to be flapping
when it is repeatedly available, then unavailable, then available, then
unavailable, and so on.
A route that is flapping receives a penalty of 1000 for each flap. When the
accumulated penalty reaches a configurable limit, BGP suppresses
advertisement of the route even if the route is up. The accumulated penalty
is decremented by the half-life time. When the accumulated penalty is less
than the reuse limit, the route is advertised again (if it is still up).

Tia