Should I assume that the BCRAN book by Thomas M.
Thomas & Adam Quiggle (McGraw Hill, Technical Expert)
is not a good book for preparing for the BCRAN exam?
Please advise before I purchase the Cisco Press BCRAN
book.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/centri4/user/scf4ap1.htm

http://www.scan-technologies.com/tutorials/TCPIP%20Tutorial.htm

> Basically, I see alot of people trying to make
> everything "fit into layers".  Just remember that in
> the OSI model, there are certain functions that are
> associated with each layer.  You could have a
> protocol, like IPX from the IPX/SPX suite, that does
> functions of Layer 3 (logical addressing/path
> determination) and Layer 4 (connectionless, needs
> SPX to be connection oriented), so it's hard to say
> that it's a Layer 3 or Layer 4 protocol, because it
> actually performs functions of both.  Since the
> Department of Defense (DOD) designed the TCP/IP
> protocol suite and it's "reference layers" before
> the OSI reference model was created, they made their
> own layers.  Here's a rough approximation of how
> these layers line up: (I hope your using a fixed
> width font =)
>
> OSI Model Layers                     TCP/IP Model
> Layers
> ----------------
> -------------------
>
> Application  --------+
> Presentation --------+------------> Application
> Session      --------+
>
> Network <-------------------------> Network
>
> Data Link <-----------------------> Data Link
>
> Physical <------------------------> Physical
>
> As you can see, the *functions* of the OSI
> Application/Presentation/Session are all handled by
> just the Application layer in the TCP/IP model.  So,
> for instance, even thought FTP is in the Application
> Layer in the TCP/IP model, it handles the
> application interface (OSI Application Layer), the
> formatting of data to/from the application (OSI
> Presentation Layer), and opening/closing the session
> (OSI Session Layer).
>
> I hope this helps some..........
>
> Mike W.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...