Actually, it sounds like their address space was registered in
RADB with there origin being there Telco ISP.

The traceroute you used (probably prtraceroute) looks up
addresses in RADB to determine there origin AS.

So, to Dan West, you are not misunderstanding the purpose
of the AS number in BGP, but I think you are
misinterpreting the meaning of the AS number you see in that
traceroute gateway.

Take an address and check it in RADB and you'll see

whois -h whois.radb.net x.y.z.0

Patrick
--
Patrick Morin