        From:   Jeff Kell [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
        Sent:   Thursday, June 08, 2000 3:51 PM
        To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject:        Sniffing on switched networks

        Recently I came across some advisories on a new (to me) hack tool
called
        dsniff (IIRC).  The basic operation is as follows:

        * enemy spoofs an ARP reply to a target host/client for the victim's

          IP, but supplies it's own MAC address.
        * target stashes this in it's ARP table, subsequent IP packets are
          sent to the enemy's MAC.
        * enemy copies the packet and forwards on to the victim.

        It is a bit scary, and gets down to the bit-level of various TCP
        stacks.  On paper it sounds rather simple, and I'm trying to devise
some
        means of protection against this.  Among my concerns about the
        attack:

        * do all stacks accept and cache 'unsolicited' ARP replies?
Routers?
          Windows?  NT?  Various unix flavors?
        * will this overwrite any existing ARP entry in the cache?
        * will this overwrite a static ARP entry?

        To insure a "sniff-proof" connection between yourself and a host,
can
        you define static ARPs on the client, host, and endpoint router(s)
if on
        different subnets and protect yourself from such an attack?

        Sorry if somewhat off-topic, but it does get to the way ARP works
(is it
        stateful - request and wait on reply, or they two events handled
        asynchronously?)

        Jeff Kell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>