Recently I came across some advisories on a new (to me) hack tool called
dsniff (IIRC).  The basic operation is as follows:

* enemy spoofs an ARP reply to a target host/client for the victim's
  IP, but supplies it's own MAC address.
* target stashes this in it's ARP table, subsequent IP packets are
  sent to the enemy's MAC.
* enemy copies the packet and forwards on to the victim.

It is a bit scary, and gets down to the bit-level of various TCP
stacks.  On paper it sounds rather simple, and I'm trying to devise some
means of protection against this.  Among my concerns about the
attack:

* do all stacks accept and cache 'unsolicited' ARP replies?  Routers?
  Windows?  NT?  Various unix flavors?
* will this overwrite any existing ARP entry in the cache?
* will this overwrite a static ARP entry?

To insure a "sniff-proof" connection between yourself and a host, can
you define static ARPs on the client, host, and endpoint router(s) if on
different subnets and protect yourself from such an attack?

Sorry if somewhat off-topic, but it does get to the way ARP works (is it
stateful - request and wait on reply, or they two events handled
asynchronously?)

Jeff Kell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>