You can change payloads to attempt to force certain dataconditions on the
line.  For example, a you may wish to prove the line encodingon your T1/E1
so by sending a pattern of all 0's it stresses the line encoding and timing
recovery of the link.  This is a basic data pattern test (better suited to
dedicated test equipment) to isolate problem areas.  I personally have never
played with payload contents as strictly speaking a ping is a simple
reachability test - but thats not to say you cannot use it to stress test
etc...  You may want to trigger a capture on a data analyser using a certain
datapattern that you set in the ping payload.

Try searching www.cisco.com  for more information on extended ping command
options.