As Howard might ask, what is the real problem you are trying to solve, other
than to shut the users up?  :->

Whiney users will complain about anything and everything to get the ego
boost they think they deserve. Mary has more ram than I have and I've been
here longer. Bill has 100mbs nic and I only have 10 and I need 100 to do my
work faster. Yada yada yada.

When I worked at the brokerage firm, a common complaint was that a broker
needed a faster machine so he could get his quotes faster to remain
competitive. ( think about that one for a while :-> )

The important thing to determine is what is the real cause of the complaint.
Slow opening up massive e-mail attachments? Poor performance during the
usual times of the day - log in time when everyone is making a huge one time
resource demand? Or opening e-mail for the first time during the day? Is
your business built around the transfer of massive amounts of data all the
time ( say a law firm, or just running a sophisticated document management
system? ) And to be frank, you can have a hyperspeed NIC, but if it's
running on an old 486-33, it won't do you a whole lot of good.

Once you have a good understanding of the real problem, then you can look at
solutions. Going full duplex at the server side can make a world of
difference, even at 10mbs, particularly in a switched environment. It may be
that's all you need at this point. Maybe not. The point is that it is far
easier to manage your network, and derive an upgrade plan when you
understand what it is you really need to do. Treat the disease, not the
symptoms.

Just a few cents, CCDP or not :-<

Chuck