Makes sense to me too :-)

Atif

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Chuck Larrieu
Sent: Monday, July 03, 2000 1:15 PM
To: Cisco man; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: ARP Broadcast

Interesting question.

Someone smarter than I will come up with the real reason. But my guess is
that the requester can't send a unicast because it does not know the mac
address in the first place. If it did, it wouldn't have to make the request.
:->

Recall that to place the packet on the wire, the sender must place a mac
destination address in the layer two header. The arp request goes to mac
address ffff.ffff.ffff ( mac broadcast )

Makes sense to me. Just waiting for the corrections to come.

Chuck