Hi all,

Yeah, I do agree with Kent.

Hitesh

Kent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 07/04/2000 02:36:27 AM

Please respond to Kent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

To:   "m. jean stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Cisco man
      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc:    (bcc: harora)
Subject:  RE: ARP Broadcast

When working with Lay3, it must be mapped to something
that is Lay2, MAC,DCLI, VPI/VCI... so that the system
knows how to handle it. Dynamically, this is sloved by
ARP. When you want to ping 1.1.1.1, your PC/router
needs to know the MAC address/DLCI number of 1.1.1.1
in order to talk to it over LAN or FR, but it does not
know it, how can we let it know dynamically without a
kind of broadcast? when you say unicast, do you mean
the MAC address of the destination which your machine
does not know yet?
When it is point-to-point, there is no need to have
the concepts of broadcast and unicast, because there
are only two nodes, you just send everything to a
specific address, and program your software or
hardware to always listen to that address when they
are in point-to-point mode.
Kent

--- "m. jean stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Great Question!!!    Seems that the only thing that
> is required is a
> point-2-point communication as the IP address is
> known.
>
> My 2 cents worth.
>

> makeeda

[EMAIL PROTECTED]