Your feelings are right... HDLC is by design a point-to-point encapsulation
for serial interfaces which means that it cannot be used for Multiaccess
networks (mulitpoint). You need to use a Multiaccess type network like
Frame-Relay or X.25.

Parrish.

"Omer " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a router with tow serial ports. I have noticed that one of my
serial interfaces, which is configured with HDLC
> encap, does not give me the option to choose
> between point-to-point or multipoint subinterfaces. The other serial
interface, with frame-relay encap, allows me to do so.
> Does this have
> something to do with the type of encapsulation on each serial port ? If
that is true, can some one please elaborate?