A question got thrown at me while coming up with a solution for a problem.
We want to funnel traffic from a certain external address around our
firewall and allow everything else to hit the fire wall.   Easy, right!  Get
the ip of the device and allow it to use a shunt.  Problem: The traffic is
SMTP and the internal network's policy is such that it sends SMTP to the
firewall.  Apply an ACL to route the traffic right? Which begs the question
does Policy negate ACLs??  Our external net uses ip based routing, if that
helps.