>From my experience, this is the case in an attempt to reduce/eliminate
smurf amplification on the Internet.

My company uses an application which utilizes directed broadcasts in
an attempt to save on bandwidth, and any 12.0 deployment/upgrade I do
required "ip directed-broadcast" on each Ethernet/Tokenring interface.

Oddly enough, both "no ip directed-broadcast" and "ip directed-broadcast"
will show up in the running-config.  I assume this was due to the default
behavior changing and will probably disappear again.