From:   Leigh Anne Chisholm [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Friday, July 07, 2000 10:34 AM
To:     Chuck Larrieu; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        RE: Fw: Easy Brain Teaser (Switching)

Well actually Chuck, as I posted in my message, many people set up a server
in one room, and then move it to another.  I recently was at a site where
such a thing happened - they haven't been pleased with their Catalyst 5500
being "buggy" and have tried everything to correct the network connectivity
problem, INCLUDING upgrading to the latest IOS.  They've been less than
pleased Cisco customers.  John Neiberger probably posted the "teaser"
question as a learning experience for others on the list, because it's
something he's had to find out the hard way as well.

As an aside, but related - the question has often arisen: "Would you hire
someone with 2 years of experience, or a newly certified
CCNA/CCDA/CCNP/CCDP".  My answer would be (visualizing Howard B here for a
moment...) "It depends".  (-:

There are many people in the field, like the administrator at the
organization I reference above, who have been working in the IT field for
years, who do their job well, but many "experienced administrators" haven't
understood how the devices operate.  And often, these same individuals don't
have the capability to really optimize performance on their networks as a
result.  Another organization comes to mind where there were 2000 stations,
each running TCP/IP, NetBEUI, and IPX (3 frame types), some stations ran
AppleTalk, and others various proprietary protocols as required.  This was a
completely bridged environment - no routers.  Workstations used broadcasts
to find servers - each Windows for Workgroups PC having file and print
sharing enabled.  No one had any idea how to monitor what was happening on
the wire, or the impact of their configurations.  They knew the network was
slow...  A little education has done WONDERS for resolving their issues!

Now someone who has had training, who really understands the fundamentals of
how things operate can run circles around the "experienced" but "uneducated"
network administrator.  The issue John brought to this list is a perfect
example.  In training circles, it's known that a typical user will only use
30% of a product's functionality without training--and that makes for a
pretty expensive product.  But that's why most of us are part of this
group - to go beyond the 30% rule.

  -- Leigh Anne