I have to agree with Joe (alhtough not in the same tone).  I'm willing to
take it a step further, and say the cable doesn't even have to be pulled
out.  As soon as the switch hears the MAC address on a different port, the
CAM table is updated.

Take HSRP for example.  If you have two routers connected to the same switch
both running HSRP, if one goes down the other takes over almost immediately.
This means the CAM table must be updated almost immediately as well because
the virtual IP address has the same MAC address.

"Joe Pinkus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Leigh Anne,
>
> This is completely false what you have just said, here is the output from
a switch:

> 4000-7-1 (enable) sh cam dynam 2/17
> * = Static Entry. + = Permanent Entry. # = System Entry. R = Router
> Entry. X = Port Security Entry
>
> VLAN  Dest MAC/Route Des  Destination Ports or VCs / [Protocol Type]
> ----  ------------------
> 1     00-50-8b-9b-22-b2   2/17 [ALL]
> Total Matching CAM Entries Displayed = 1
> 4000-7-1 (enable) set cam aging ?
> Usage: set cam agingtime <vlans> <agingtime>
>        (agingtime = 0, 15..1000000 seconds, 0 to disable)
>         vlans = 1..1005
>         An example of vlans is 2-10,1005)
> 4000-7-1 (enable) set cam aging 1 10000
> Vlan 1 CAM aging time set to 10000 seconds.
> 4000-7-1 (enable) sh cam aging
> VLAN    1 aging time = 10000 sec
> VLAN 1003 aging time = 300 sec
> VLAN 1005 aging time = 300 sec
> 4000-7-1 (enable) sh cam dyanm 2/17
> Usage: show cam [count] <dynamic|static|permanent|system> [vlan]
>        show cam <dynamic|static|permanent|system> <mod_num/port_num>
>        show cam <mac_addr> [vlan]
>        show cam agingtime
> 4000-7-1 (enable) sh cam dynam 2/17
> * = Static Entry. + = Permanent Entry. # = System Entry. R = Router
> Entry. X = Port Security Entry
>
> VLAN  Dest MAC/Route Des  Destination Ports or VCs / [Protocol Type]
> ----  ------------------
> 1     00-50-8b-9b-22-b2   2/17 [ALL]
> Total Matching CAM Entries Displayed = 1
> 4000-7-1 (enable) pull the cable
> Unknown command "pull".  Use 'help' for more info.
> 4000-7-1 (enable) 2000 Jul 06 14:22:45 %PAGP-5-PORTFROMSTP:Port 2/17
> left bridge port 2/17
>
> 4000-7-1 (enable) sh cam dynam 2/17
> * = Static Entry. + = Permanent Entry. # = System Entry. R = Router
> Entry. X = Port Security Entry
>
> VLAN  Dest MAC/Route Des  Destination Ports or VCs / [Protocol Type]
> ----  ------------------
> 4000-7-1 (enable)
>
> Notice that after the cable was pulled, the mac address was purged.
>
> Leigh Anne Chisholm wrote:
>
> > I've seen this "problem" quite often, and it's helpful that you've
brought this up.

> > In the Catalyst 5000/5500 series switch, the MAC address to port mapping
table keeps entries for 5 minutes (or 300 seconds) by default.  When you
switch ports (say, moving a server from a test room to the production
location), the table  waits the aging time before the old MAC address/port
mapping is removed.  This creates the lack of connectivity you reference.

> > The aging of the MAC address to port mapping can really play havoc with
one's mind when the default has been changed to the maximum of 20 minutes
(someone's decided that changing this value will optimize switch and network
performance).  This leaves the administrator scratching their heads for 20
minutes wondering why they don't have connectivity.