bit shaky on this, but here goes...

there is a standard - G.703/704 - it's not just a cisco thing

T/S 0 is used for signalling, the remaining 31 channels (1-31) are used for
data - hence the 1,984kb/s bandwidth rather than the 2,048 you might expect.
Under a cisco E1 you would configure a virtual serial, S1/0:0 over all
timeslots like this:

controller E1 1/0
 channel-group 0 timeslots 1-31

<snip>

interface Serial1/0:0
 <serial config>

you can configure multiple virtual serials if you wish, for when you are
aggregating multiple sub-E1s on the hub of a hub-and-spoke for example.

Believe that T/S 16 was once used for signalling also, but can't quite
remember.....

HTH

Andy