In a message dated 7/13/00 12:40:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< When comparing Distance Vector with Link State protocols, although the
 procedures are different,
 isn't the end result for both the same? That is, having a complete map of
 the entire network?
 Please correct me if I'm missing something. Thanks.

 Elmer Deloso

You have to remember that link-state will go by bandwidth, delay, etc. The
routing tables in link-state will be more efficient and will usually have the
better path to the destination if configured properly. If you were running a
rip network (distance-vector) the calculation of the best paths would be done
by hop count. For example: You have 4 routers (a,b,c,and d) and A is directly
to D running a 56k link. B is connected to C, which is connected to D. In
between B and C, you have a T1, and between C and D, you also have a T1. If
you were running RIP (distance-vector) it would chose the 56k path because it
has less hops to the destination (D), even though it would probably be faster
to get to D through C over the 2 T1's. With link-state protocols, they would
look over the bandwidth and see that the fastest way to get to D would be
through the two hop path of C. Ok, I confused myself! Too much writing
without pictures :)  I hope you understood this blabber and hope it helped at
all,

Mark Zabludovsky ~ CCNA
<A HREF="mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>

    If the automobile had followed the same development as the computer, a
Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and
explode once a year killing everyone inside.
                                        ~Robert Cringely, InfoWorld~