Yes, you can have non-Cisco routers within the totally-stubby area, as long
as the ABRs are Cisco.  The routers within the totally-stubby area are
completely unaware of the fact that they are missing those type 3 LSAs from
the other areas--they just think they are in an RFC-compliant stub area.

To put it another way, by configuring your ABR with the "no-summary"
keyword, you are telling it to do some additional filtering.  The stub area
flag in the hello packet looks the same as for an RFC-compliant stub ABR.

Pamela