You CAN make it a totally stubby area, as long as your Cisco router is the
ABR.  Remember a "totally stubby" setting only means that your router will
only send a 0.0.0.0 default route into the OSPF area, as opposed to a
0.0.0.0 default and type 3/4 summary LSAs.  As far as packet headers and
that kind of stuff it will still just show as a stub.

If a Cisco is set to totally stubby, and another router from another
vendor is set to just stub for the area, the two routers will have no
problems at all communicating with each other.

Paul