At 09:14 AM 7/17/00, Stylen wrote:
>no, ethernet is always CSMA/CD. I believe AppleTalk uses CSMA/CA.

LocalTalk uses CSMA/CA. Hardly anyone uses LocalTalk these days. Most
people run AppleTalk on top of Ethernet (802.3), which, as you say, uses
CSMA/CD in a shared environment.

Here's what the 802.3 spec says about transmission: Monitor the carrier
sense signal and defer to passing traffic. When the medium is clear, frame
transmission is initiated (after a brief interframe delay to provide
recovery time for other CSMA/CD MAC sublayers and for the physical medium).

Here's what Inside AppleTalk says about the LocalTalk datalink layer:
LocalTalk attempts to minimize collisions by requiring transmitters to wait
for the duration of the interdialog gap plus a random period of time before
sending a frame.

It's the addition of a random period that makes LocalTalk collision
avoidance (CA) instead of just collision detection (CD). Ethernet waits a
random time after a collision.

Priscilla