Hello,

If you are looking for books that focus strictly on the IP protocol suite
(IP, TCP/UDP, ARP, ICMP, etc), I would not suggest Radia Perlman's
"Interconnections" or Jeff Doyle's "Routing TCP/IP Volume 1".  While
"Interconnections" is an excellent text that addresses a lot of topics
quite well, its coverage of TCP/IP is limited in comparison to the other
books.  And Doyle's book, while great in its own right, has as its primary
focus IP routing protocols.  Therefore, while there is some good
information on IP itself (and associated protocols like ARP), I believe the
title of the book, "Routing TCP/IP", states its focus quite well.

That leaves the books by Stevens and Comer.  Honestly, they are both
excellent books that cover the IP protocol suite very well.  I think it's
really a toss up between the two books.  My personal belief is that while
the Comer book is great, the Steven's book covers the IP suite in a bit
more detail .  That said, if I were purchasing a TCP/IP book today, I might
go with the Comer text strictly because it has been updated
recently.  Again, either way you go, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Just my $0.02 (US)

-Marcus