What level of understanding do you wish to attain? Over what time frame?

I would suggest buying all 8 books. Yes, 8 books - the comer books come in 3
volumes, and the Stevens books come in 3 volumes. All are excellent!

Comer's books cover the theory in vol 1, then the nuts and bolts of each
protocol in vol's 2 and 3. If you have some knowledge of C programming, or
you ever wish to write applications in C for the TCP/IP suite, then all 3
volumes are essential.

Steven's books cover the protocols from a more hands-on perspective. It's
focus is primarily a systems approach, and assumes that you are using a UNIX
system. It really gives you a great understanding of the behavior of the
protocols to use them rather than just read about them. All 3 volumes are
necessary to build a complete understanding of nearly the entire suite.

Perlman's book does not cover TCP/IP per se, but rather the fundamental
concepts of routing and bridging. There is by association some coverage of
TCP/IP in there, but I would start with Comer or Stevens and then move in to
internetworking concepts.

Doyle's book gives outstanding coverage of IP routing protocols (as opposed
to rout-ed protocols), and would serve as the final word in this series of
reading.

Well, almost... The next step might be Bassam Halabi's "Internet Routing
Architectures" in order to gain an understanding of BGP, as Doyle's book
does not cover exterior routing protocols.

So, that's really 9 books. Give yourself 18 months to read them, that is a
conservative pace. Too much money? Too much time? Consider the payback when
you put that knowledge to work...

SAVE MONEY - the Comer books should be available at your public library -
certainly at the local University library.

SAVE TIME - read the Comer series and the Steven's series concurrently.
Likewise with Perlman and Doyle. Not a programmer, never want to be? Skip
volumes 2 and 3 of Comer's series (this is a sacrifice of knowledge
though...).

Good Luck, and enjoy!

Dale
[=`)