Hi,
I am trying to understand why a serial connection (s0) is not assigned an ip
address to connect with the service provider when configured for frame
relay.
As a configuration example that one of my friends showed me, his serial 0 is
configured for T1,  with no ip address, serial 0.2 is configured for frame
relay as a point-to-point subinterface. There is an ip unnumbered
Ethernet0/0 command for this interface and also the frame relay
configuration is set (dlci #, lmi type etc)
What does this ip unnumbered do in this case?
Pg. 417 and 418  of the ICRC book from Cisco Press for CCNA 640-407 does not
explain why the physical interface serial 2 and sub-interface serial 2.2
point-to-point is not configured with any ip address NOR does it explain the
use of the ip unnumbered Serial1(in this case).
In this scenario, how does this router talk to the service provider's
router?
Does it just look at the DLCI number and use the virtual circuit for
communication to the outside? What is involved?
Please advise.
Thank you.
Kind regards,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]