Howard, Kent thanks your insight it does help.
What I hear you saying Kent is that Layer3 switching is still Layer2 with a
Layer3 module off the fabric (which is not all bad). As long as we can to path
determination that could work, as stated below broadcasts are an issue.

Howard, first off just I wanted to say that I enjoyed your articles on the
certificationzone, they help allot with my CCNA. I don't think I trying to solve
a problem per say, the company is/was a 3com house and now we're looking at fork
lifting 3com equipment in favor of Cisco. With that in mind some redesigning is
in order, we're one big flat network/collision domain using DHCP in a LAN/MAN
quasi campus configuration. My boss the network manager is eager to change this
but is big on switching, everything is switched (once you get past the
disychained hubs...) except our FR and Internet connections. Add some legacy IPX
devices with SAP advertisments...talk about broadcast hell..sheeesh! Anyway I've
been working on CCNP and I thought this could be a small intro into design and I
didn't want to "pound the table" on position without knowing what ideas were out
there.

Thanks for your insight - Ron

"Ron Stark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 07/21/2000 10:05:56 AM

Please respond to "Ron Stark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>