> And by default, most current Cisco routers already have Fast Switching or
> better enabled (unless extended IP access lists are applied, if I remember
> right).

I think this is an outdated statement, although I do not know
what IOS release(s) changed this thought.  On a 2500 running
12.1(2) IP:

Serial0 is up, line protocol is up
  Outgoing access list is not set
  Inbound  access list is 101
  IP fast switching is enabled
  IP fast switching on the same interface is enabled
  IP Flow switching is disabled
  IP CEF switching is enabled
  IP CEF Feature Fast switching turbo vector

Just to be sure, I disabled CEF and IP fast switching stuck,
so it's not a purely CEF feature.  Anyone know a good document
outlining when changes like this took place?